Thursday, March 10, 2011

Crafting Adventures

Heidi and Sara from Crafting Adventures are two stay at home moms, with 3 children each! Their love for making things leads from one adventure to another and now their motto is "We'll try anything once..."


What kind of items do you carry?
You'll find an array of things in our shop, some hand crocheted by Heidi and others sewn by Sara. Our most popular items are flower flapper beanies, newsgirls, Waldorf inspired heavy babies, and pillowcase dresses.


How do you juggle being a SAHM and crafting?

Heidi: I tend to use every spare moment crocheting. I love that crocheting is something I can pick up and put down whenever necessary so when there is a 'kid emergency' I don't feel too terribly interrupted. I have several styles of hats that I don't need to consult a pattern or use a lot of brain power but sometimes when I am trying a new style or trying to write out a pattern I have to wait until the kids are in bed for the night. Thankfully, my husband deals with the bedtime routine.

Sara: How do I juggle kids and the crafting? Well, as I type this with my right hand, I'm bouncing my crabby 8 month old with the left! I have 4 year old and 2 year old girs who play really well together, so I usually set them up with an activity, like watercolors, and while my baby naps in the afternoon I'm able to sit at my sewing machine for an hour or so. It's really all about finding a few minutes here and there. While they have an afternoon snack, I attach a sleeve to a dress.


If money were no object what crafting would you like to try?

Heidi: I would love to learn how to card and spin wool. It would be amazing if I had a room with a spinning wheel and a place to dye the yarn. We have a few acres out here -the perfect place to raise a few angora goats and some sheep!

Sara: If money were no object (and time for that matter) I would love to create pieces of furniture with my husband. A few years ago we turned an old oak dresser into a computer desk. He took it apart and I stripped and refinished it. It really turned out lovely and it's something we can pass down to our children. We have an old stereo cabinet downstairs that we plan to make into a toy box this summer. I love recycling pieces like that, giving them a new purpose.


See more great items from Sara and Heidi in their Shop and join them on Facebook for featured items and giveaways!

No comments:

Post a Comment